Sunday, October 23, 2011

Magic Carpet Ride

Whereas ONE hour ago, this would have been a super happy, fun entry, it is now a comedy. Times change...fast! I started writing this yesterday on the train...Not moving...Just sitting still in Jerez de la Frontera.  Funny story. Taylor, Lauren & I went to Cadiz this weekend and chose the 3:00 train home. 
 Mistake #1. This particular train had some functionality problemas... We still don't know what exactly, but we were told that it couldn't continue farther.  The train company was sending buses to pick us up and shuttle us to the Jerez airport (the next train stop) where another train would be waiting to take us farther.  Sucks, but not that big of a deal....in the United States.  We are thinking about a 25 minute detour...hilarious. In Spain, things went a little different.  They didn't send the buses for almost 3 hours.  People were about to start a riot...super intense.  All I kept thinking is how mad I would be if I was at home...In the US, I constantly have a million things to do, important things...(at least important to me!) and here my to do list including running and shopping...not necessarily something I can't live without, haha.  There was a man that had a flight to catch, people getting home to see loved ones, dates to be had, just a lot of issues, so I honestly was not impatient...I know, you are shocked, and possibly don't believe me, but I was super calm!!  We were supposed to get into Sevilla at 4:thirty-something and we got in a 7:00...YAY!! It really was a lot faster than we expected.  But just another thing to add to my future book about how smooth sailing my life is :)


Menos mal...beautiful weekend!
Aladdin's castle in the background!! Not really, but I referred to it as that all weekend...from the other side, it seriously looks like it!


We spent the entire weekend searching for this incredible "Old Town" ...turns out we were staying there the entire time...haha.  Cadiz is TINY, but we loved it!  We spent some quiet time on the beach, relaxing on Friday.  Went out on the town Friday night, had a blast! Drinks about 1/3 of the price in Sevilla...it's like when you go from going out in Tuscaloosa to going out in Auburn...huuuge difference in your pocket book!  Saturday we did the more touristy aspect and went in this tower that is supposed to have the "best views of Cadiz"...we were all kind of like ehh, if it's under 3 euro, we'll do it.  It was 5..and we still decided to, because we had time to kill...but were super bitter about paying 5 euro ($6.95) to climb some stairs...good choice...the views were incredible! But still it was spending money after the weekend away of spending too much...BUT then we see on our ticket a 1:00 showtime...weird.  Show?! What show? Turns out they have this thing called "Camara Oscura" .. We got a tour of the city from inside of this room...it was like watching a movie, but live...where we just were...we could see people hanging their laundry, kids running, birds flying, waves crashing, the sun glistening...seriously coolest thing ever! You won't understand the Spanish web pages, but I looked up the San Francisco one and it explains it a littttllleee more eloquently than I do
http://www.giantcamera.com/
Super cool, absolute recommendation, turns out 5 euro was a steal!

I love this vacationing on Friday & Saturday thing, because I still have today to get my life back together! Perfect!

Love and miss you all! 
As always ROLL TIDE!!! CANNOT WAIT FOR NOVEMBER 5!!! Emotions, dedication, passion aside...I still think we have a huge chance to be back in the Championship!! Either way, it will be one heck of a football game! L S WHOOO??!

Old Town...The Cathedral...a block down from our hostel...we're idiots.



 The only cool parts about our hostel....decorations, rooftop shower & hammocks!


Taylor 

The 3 of us & of course...Aladdin is somewhere to be found.

sunlight doing weird stuff...trying to take a pic on my iPod is giving my body some oddly unproportional arms :)

Train ride fun...BEFORE the stop!


...during the 2 and a half hour stop :) BEAUTIFUL scenery...right?




No comments:

Post a Comment