Monday, October 24, 2011

Having a Love-Hate Relationship with Public Transportation.

I am not normally one to use emoticons, but I can promise you if I had them accessbile on my blog I would be going to town with some frustrated faces...Seriously.

Today, my relationship is one of not just hate, but DESPISING all things public transport wise...I just want my car (which ironically I no longer own, but that is a completely different story) and the freedom to, I don't know, ACTUALLY GO TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!! I guess you can tell A. by the fact that it is Monday morning and I am online and B. by the excessive amount of exclamation points that I miss the bus..AGAIN.

I know in the states, it is super common for me to run late...to sleep in, etc. etc... Not when it comes to work. And not when I have to catch a bus.  Ironically the 2 days I have missed the bus are the days I woke up with PLENTY of time...I leave my house at 7:40ish and today I got up at 6:40...a whole hour...it doesn't take me that long...at all. Today was the exception to every rule. Today, there was rain.  I haven't seen rain in Spain yet...Yesterday I saw sprinkle and Taylor and I decked out in rain gear to visit the birth house of our favorite Spanish painter... I will attach photos...it was super cool..but completely off topic.  So today, there was rain.  Real rain. Evelyn, I'm talking our walk to Moody rain...and my bus stop is even farther than walking from Ridgecrest to Moody... AND today is Monday so I have to tote all of my belongings for my week in the pueblo...(will explain after!) So here I am at the 7:35 mark...showered, dressed, fed, clean teeth, packed bag and rain...rain...rain...ohh and no umbrella...did I mention I have my computer in my backpack?! So I make the executive decision to take a taxi.  "Lucky for me I live in the Alameda", (right by the center on a main plaza) which means they have a taxi stop...and another one a block away... so I see 100 taxis every morning...and every morning I think, at least if I'm running late one day I can grab a taxi...Even though I was not running late, I think, no questions asked, worth the money.  HA.ha.HA.ha.HA...like everything in my life..Hilarious. (I am seriously writing a book...I think I shall name it "The girl with the yellow boots" ...yes I was wearing my yellow rainboots that match nothing I had on.) 

I stood in the rain for 15 minutes, 17 minutes...and finally 20 minutes...the EXACT time it takes me to walk to the bus stop...So here I am...standing a block from my house, in the rain, soaking wet, all my belongings soaked and STILL not making it to work. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Silver lining (because there ALWAYS is one): At least now I know not to EVER rely on taking the taxi...Lesson Learned. 

This week was my Halloween week.  Yall know I love my holidays, especially in the classroom...ADORE IT! Also I leave for Madrid WEDNESDAY so added frustration...if I was going to miss work...why couldn't it have been Wednesday so I could have an extra day with my family?! (ALTHOUGH, I GET TO SEE VERO, MARCELO, CHELO, VINCENTE, MARCELITO, GONZALO, MENCIA & CASILDA IN 2 DAYS!!!...how is that for silver lining!) 

I know the title of this is Love-hate, but it's hard for me to do that side right now...hmm... somedays it's great and I think...why don't we have more public transport in Alabama instead of all the cars! I like the walking everywhere and the hopping on a bus if you don't feel like going so far (which I'm cheap so I figure everything is walk-able, haha)...normally I could write more...somedays I seriously adore it. Today is just not one of those days.

Sorry this blog is extra long, but I did promise...If you prefer to break it up..here is a good time for an INTERMISSION.

Act 2: Setting-Cazalla y El Pedroso, pueblo-life.

Okayyyy, now that I have explained my story to you kiddos...Time for the update on my pueblo life! I don't think I have even blogged about work yet, but I ADORE IT! My kids are the cutest things ever...I LOVE being in the classroom.  Signaling my inner teacher (thanks mom for all the Christmas presents of bulletin boards, dry erase boards, markers, folders, pens, and I will admit, I'm still bitter you didn't get me the overhead projector in 3rd grade, but Hey, now I have a SMART BOARD!) and I love it. The staff is INCREDIBLE!! Seriously, I feel so welcomed and at home.  We laugh all day...Somedays we fill our 30 minute (kids are at recess "recreo") break with Spanish class, some days English and on occasion even a little Flamenco.  My assistant principal has been super helpful since I am obviously having issues with my commute and even talked to one of his friends that wanted an AuPair and told her about me...I am doing kind of part time AuPair/english tutor...It's fun.  I am learning the life of the country on Monday and Tuesday afternoons.  Small town, small town...Makes Oxford look like NYC, but I adore it.  Seriously. The family is so welcoming and everyone in the town really.  It's cute and today we are supposed to carve a pumpkin! (or whenever I make it to the pueblo...) I also can't complain about the incredible sunrises God has been using each morning to help me get up and motivated.  Big rolling hills, olive trees, sunrise over the mountains, white pueblo...L-O-V-E.

Speaking of love ... I love you guys. A lot. and I am so thankful you are a part of my life :)

Okay, super long blog entry terminado (finished).

Hasta pronto!

I took this picture yesterday because I thought the sky looked cool..........foreshadowing much?

At Velazquez birth house...whoop whoop!  In rain gear......minus the rain.


His most famous artwork: "Las Meninas"
(Technically I lied....Goya is my favorite, but I do love this painting.....ohh the hours I put in during University to study this art painting...)

Cazalla, Espana

El Pedroso:  C.E.I.P. Cervantes
My school :)









No comments:

Post a Comment